Sunday, March 29, 2009

Why should I Vote?

Its Election time in India. Most of the time I wonder whats the bullshit surrounding the elections. I have never ever voted in my lifetime. . . I dont feel I will ever vote in the near future. Some people advocate that we must be a part and parcel of the democracy. My vision of democracy is something much different than what we see now in India. May be I will vote register my protest vote when the election commisssion provides the option for negative voting. All political parties are the same in character. The political parties change forms and colours according to the situations and their utmost ambition is money and power. All the parties in India have come to power at one time or the other and all of them have proved to be corrupt. There is no alternative politics in India. All political parties belong to the same seed and they just change colours and flags. Personally I have political convictions, political affiliations but in the deepest of my heart I long for the birth of a dictator.
I wish all these political parties are banned forever, all the religious organisations, castiest parties, power broking pimps etc are burned into ashes. In the name of democracy, what we witness is just Election-Thamasha.
India has probably had one it’s worst years in the last 25 years, terrorist attacks, sudden slow down in growth, loss of jobs and an uncertain future for many. The 26/11 attacks in Mumbai made me sad, and worry for friends and family. I am very sad, but not surprised, because the policeman is waiting to see where he can make the next 100 rupees to fund his evening drink, a government official is collecting bribe to buy his wife some extra gold, laptop for his son or a family vacation. Do you think the interest of the country is present in the minds of people who have the responsibility to make it a better place. Does this country or society really care for its people ?
If it takes me 7 months to get a passport, do you think there is any kind of intelligence that is available to detect the next attack. For good security, you need judgement, one needs to be good to the genuine, tough with the suspicious and be “smart enough” to differentiate between the two. Judgement is a complex molecule made up of intelligence, experience, exposure and finally good character.
Sub standard equipment that our police has to deal with is not a bad choice but a greedy choice, because the purchase decision maker has to get his cut and the supplier has to make a profit to survive. I was told recently informed by a farmer who grows potatoes, that all the green or inferior produce is all bought by the army to feed young jawans. Is this what they deserve because they protect the country. It is a known fact, that rations bought by the army is all third grade because the managers of army canteens lack knowledge and character. When you are on a budget and corrupt then quality suffers. From experience, I am pretty sure, when our country buys arms, equipment etc., we put the country at risk.
I have finally concluded, what we lack is character. I was told in school that always tell the truth to your teacher, lawyer and doctor. All I can say today is that these three professions today represent the lowest levels of commitment and character. In the coming days I am going to give many examples from society where lack of character, is gradually poisoning our society to levels far below medicority.
I dont wish to waste my precious time in voting these corrupt politicians. I wish we find some other solution rather than this Election-Thamasha.
If voting is my fundamental right, not voting in protest is also my fundamental right. During election time, all Indians are one-day kings. I dont want to be a one day-king.
Laal Salaam, paint the tower red.

No comments: